The nave has a mid 19thc. south doorway with a hoodmould with dog's head terminals of the mid 12thc. The north arcade of the nave, dating from c. 1200, has circular piers and abaci, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The north aisle was rebuilt in the late 13thc. and the west tower was added in the 15thc. The chancel was rebuilt 1903-4.
Hankerton is not mentioned in the Domesday Book and is likely to have been part of the estates of Malmesbury Abbey. The church was built as a chapel of Crudwell in or before the 12thc., but by 1222 it was a vicarage. The vicar had cure of souls but the church remained dependent on Crudwell until 1445 when a graveyard at Hankerton was licensed.
The 19thc. S door of the nave has two reused dogs' heads used as terminals to the hoodmould. The heads are similar in form to those in the nave arcades at Malmesbury with a strong ridge along the nose, flanked by scales and with almond-shaped eyes. However, the quality at Hankerton is markedly poorer than at the abbey. They are approximately 0.09m wide and 0.31m long.
J. Buckler, Unpublished album of drawings. Devizes Museum, Vol. 8.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 263.
A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 14, Malmesbury Hundred, Victoria County History, London, 1991, 95-104.