A small rectangular single cell church, 5.9 m x 3.6 m, situated within a walled enclosure. Romanesque sculpture is found in the W doorway and set into the gable above. The entrance of the enclosure to the S of the church also bears shallow mouldings formed by incised lines on its inside face.
See Inishcaltra, St Caimin. The gable of the church was blown down in 1839. The doorway was demolished during the 19thc. and at the time of Westropp's visit in 1877, only the foundations and a low N wall remained. The stone wall and entrance arch (rebuilt 1879) are part of the enclosure of the church of St Mary.
Round-headed, of three orders. (Some blank stones were inserted during the restorations of 1879).
|h. of opening||1.82 m|
|w. of opening||0.72 m|
Jambs: N jamb: two rows of low-relief lateral chevrons on the w. face and reveal forming lozenges. These interlock on the arris to form a cogwheel edge. S jamb badly weathered. Plain chamfered imposts.
Arch: The arch has multiple lateral chevrons on face and soffit, forming lozenges on soffit, some of which contain rosettes. Interior: The N and S faces of the jambs have lateral chevron (only remaining on the lower four courses of the N jamb).
Jambs: The jambs have two rows of frontal chevron on the W face, and lateral chevrons on the N and S faces. The top two courses of the S jamb are not original; the bottom three courses have two rows of frontal chevron separated by a fillet. The imposts are plain and chamfered.
L. De Paor, 'The History of the Monastic Site of Inis Cealtra, Co. Clare', NMAJ, 37,(1996), 21-32.
G. Madden, Holy Island: Jewel of the Lough: A History. Tuamgraney 1990.
R.A.S. Macalister, 'The History and Antiquities of Inis Cealtra,' PRIA 33 C (1916), 93-174.
R. Brash, 'Inishcaltra and its Remains,' The Gentleman's Magazine (January 1866), 7-22.
T.J. Westropp, 'The Churches of County Clare and the Origin of the Ecclesiastical divisions in that county,' PRIA, 22, (1900), 155-7.