The village lies on a spur between two valleys in the Wolds escarpment above Market Weighton. The church is a stout building in an open position looking W, although it is not seen from the Vale.
The use of the space below the tower is an unresolved curiosity. The tower was built at the same time as the nave and chancel arch. It had a W doorway, and there are traces of blind arches on the E wall; these are earlier than the present tall round-headed windows adjacent on the N and S walls. The internal doorway with tympanum would have led to a spiral stair vice in the NW angle; weakness on the N and W walls on the slope has interfered with this doorway and the exterior W doorway.
Sculpture of early 12thc decorate the S doorway, the internal doorway and the chancel arch; a W doorway of the same period can be identified; there are two reset fragments. The N arcade can be dated from the end of 12thc.
According to Bede, Goodmanham was the place where, in 627, Coifi the chief priest desecrated and fired a pagan shrine after Edwin and his council had decided in favour of the conversion to Christianity.
Various landholders are recorded in the Domesday Book: Earl Morcar, Northmann, Kolgrim and Orm held Goodmanham in 1066; in 1086 the archbishop held land as a berewick of Everingham; Nigel held a manor from Count Robert of Mortain, and a land was held by William de Coleville from Perci. Gislebert Tyson and the King were also landholders from 1086 (VCH Yorkshire, II).
|Height of opening (approximately)||1.68m|
|Width of opening||0.86m|
Round-headed doorway of two orders; no label. Restoration has renewed the jambs and arch of the first order, consequently much of this order is new. The lost shafts of the second order have been replaced with plain corbels to support the capitals. There is some misalignment of voussoirs at the apex of the second order, but the stones are original.
|2nd order, L capital, height (excluding necking)||0.2-21m|
|2nd order, L capital, height (including impost and ring)||0.4m|
|2nd order, L capital, height (including necking)||0.23-24m|
|Height of opening||2.305m|
|Width of opening||1.095m|
Plain, square and continuous. Much of this order is new work, but in the R jamb enough stones have been saved to retain an unusually complicated slot for a closing bar; the L jamb opposite is new stone.
No plinth, base or shaft. Rings are both plain. L capital features upright leaves in the bell having small tips turned over forwards. The leaves are emphasised with an incised line. Angle volute with an incised spiral on each side; outside that a large eight-armed star is carved. L impost has a plain chamfer and star-in-square decorates the upright above an arris.
R capital sides feature three flutes with an angle volute rising from the two boldest of each face; on the side faces the ridges between the flutes grow into flat spirals. R impost has a roll filling the chamfer, a rounded angle to the impost and two spaced quirks on the upright, similar to the chancel arch. Impost of both sides is tall and heavy, though they are treated very differently.
The face of the arch is decorated with a row of centrifugal chevrons, two rows of narrow zigzag steps, with a hollow row outside that. On the soffit, which seems to be angled outwards, there is a fat row of chevrons parallel with the others. The two voussoirs misaligned at the top of the arch do not have this profile, but a different soffit with finer rolls or steps; they are from a different arch.
The doorway is on the W wall of the tower; it is blocked and almost hidden by a later buttress. On each side of the buttress, a little of the doorway appears, most on the R. No base is visible but there are a double scallop capital, a ‘star-in-square’ impost and above that two stones of the outermost arch. This is flush with the main wall surface but is treated with the amount of sculpture for an inner order rather than a label. There is a row of chevrons meeting on the angle with a knob in the gap. The chevron moulding is rather flat, outlined in the surface of the voussoir rather than moulded proud of it.
Internally, this doorway is outlined by plain flush voussoirs and jambs. Above it, but not quite centrally, is a window opening, also blocked by the buttress.
|Height of top of impost above ground||1.37m|
|Width of buttress at outer W face||1.285m|
|Width of internal opening||1.02m|
Two functional windows in the N and S walls of the tower space have tall round-headed internal arches or splays, but outside the N window has been broken into by a pointed arch. Both openings are now rectangular.
There is a blocked round-headed window in the W wall above the blocked doorway (illustrated with W doorway). The doorway and window are not exactly aligned.
The blocked doorway, complete with jambs, is on the N wall inside the tower, though may have been on the NW angle before the 1894 work. It is a small doorway and, relative to the present floor level, low. It comprises plain and square jambs flush with the wall, a deep lintel with scale pattern incised, and a plain flush arch of voussoirs which is infilled with three coarsely-tooled blocks making a slightly-recessed tympanum. The horizontal part of this recess has a narrow chamfer in the lintel, as is common. The full extent of the lintel cannot be seen because of the fixed cupboard on the W wall. The scale pattern is unusual in that the pattern becomes irregular in the lower half, especially on the R side.
|Depth of lintel||0.34m|
|Visible height of opening above floor||1.13m|
|Width of lintel||0.9m|
|Width of opening||0.61m|
|Width of tympanum||0.63m|
Of two orders and label.
|Height of R capital (approximately)||0.34m|
|Height to top of R impost from first step||3.03m|
|Width of opening at floor level||1.895m|
Plain and square from the ground, with only the impost breaking into the continuous outline of the opening. It is plain and chamfered with two grooves near the base of upright and a rounded but not prominent moulding between them. The arch is plain in the soffit; remnants of painting or plaster peeling away. On the face, a row of centrifugal chevrons does not reach the angle or the second order. The chevron roll is only slightly rounded: the chevrons lie within the surface of the block, similar to those on the W doorway.
Double torus, largely restored on both sides. Freestanding shafts in three or four sections. The capitals on L and R are (unusually) similar. The ring is divided horizontally into two portions and decorated by a double cable pattern. The capital has a double-scallop form with the cones not strongly defined. They are crossed by six or seven rows of horizontal chevrons, subtly distinguished by being convex and hollow in section alternately. Each shield of the capitals is filled with four blocks of star-in-square having small domes in the quadrants. On the outer extension of the block containing the capital, the W face has scale pattern, finely cut and regular on the S side, not so accurate on the N. The scales overlap like roof-slates. Impost as before.
The soffit of the arch features a row of chevrons near the first order, then two steps and a row of chevrons are carved on the angle. The angle row continues into the face as centrifugal chevron, and quite energetically so.
Arcade of three bays, having two piers with square plinths and simple lugs, but S side of pier 1 was remade, except for the lugs. Circular waterholding bases, cylindrical pillars, octagonal capitals, and round arches in two orders plain and square, chamfered to nave. The responds are plain and square, the jambs chamfered with pyramidal chamfer stops at the top on both orders.
The octagonal capitals have a round ring, shallow concave bell, and in the chamfer of the impost, a band of large nailhead, well-separated, four or five on each side. Two in the centre of each side are square, those on the angles are elaborated, usually into a six-sided boss (or raised star) but occasionally with other forms.
There are two barely discernible portions of round-headed arches in the E wall inside the tower at ground level; they show in the splays of the N and S windows.
Fragment of string course reset vertically
Decorated on both upright and chamfer, the design is of saltire crosses and raised zigzag with domes in the outer triangles.
Reset beakhead voussoir
The stone used is the darker one which occasionally appears locally.
|Height of beakhead||0.23m|
|Height of string course as reset||0.31m|
|Width of beakhead||0.13m|
|Width of string course as reset||0.1m|
The less ornated of the two fonts, it is a low, irregular hexagonal form set on a modern hexagonal plinth. The only decoration consists in a hollow channel all round near the top and bottom. The circular basin tapers slightly and has a flat floor with small drainage hole in the centre. No lining.
|Depth of interior of bowl||0.28 - 0.3m|
|Diameter, external (maximum)||0.75m|
|Height of font||0.6m|
|Internal diameter of bowl||0.53m|
|Length of each side, range||0.36m - 0.445m|
R. Wood, 'The Augustinians and the Romanesque font from Everingham', Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 83 (2011), 112-147.
Faculty papers in Borthwick Institute, Fac. 1894/7 include plans
L. A. S. Butler, ed., The Yorkshire Church Notes of Sir Stephen Glynne (1825-1874), Y. A. Soc. Record series 159, Woodbridge, 2007.
J. E. Morris, The East Riding of Yorkshire, 2nd ed., London, 1919.
N. Pevsner & D. Neave, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 2nd. ed., London, 1995, 437-8.
J. S. Purvis, Goodmanham church and village, York, 1940.
D. A. Stocker and P. Everson, Summoning St Michael: early Romanesque towers in Lincolnshire, Oxford, 2006.
Victoria County History: Yorkshire. II (General volume, including Domesday Book) 1912, reprinted 1974.
Victoria County History: Yorkshire. III (Ecclesiastical History; Religious Houses; Political History; Social and Economic History) 1913, reprinted 1974.
R. Wood, 'Geometric Patterns in English Romanesque Sculpture', Journal of the British Archeological Association, 154 (2001), 1-39.