The church is aisleless and comprises chancel with S vestry, nave with S porch, and W tower. The fabric is red stone and granite. The nave and chancel are 13thc., the S transept is 13thc. or 14thc. (Historic England listing: 1252173). The porch is 19thc. as is the vestry. Romanesque sculpture is found on the font.
Before the Conquest Tetcott was held by Aldred and Alwin. By 1086 the Lord and tenant-in-chief was Iudhael of Totnes.
Located at the W end of the S aisle. The font is chalice-shaped supported on a two-stepped plinth. The first step is chamfered and probably of the same date as the font, the plain second step is modern The bowl and stem are monolithic and are cemented to the base. There are heavy tooling marks over all. The font is unlined, with a drainage hole. Just below the rim the font is carved with a row of chip-carved decoration. From N: one rosette in a recessed circle; one St Andrew's cross with bifurcated arms; three Saltire crosses with pellets in the interstices; one rosette in a circle; four four-petalled flowers in squares; three Saltire crosses with pellets in the interstices; three rosettes in circles; three saltire crosses with pellets in the interstices’ a plain section extending to the first rosette.
NE angle: grotesque head, with long arms (no body) stretched downwards.
E face: plain.
SE angle: only part of a face survives on the E.
S face: plain, possibly cut away.
SW angle: cut away.
W face: plain.
NW angle: grotesque face with grimacing mouth and bared teeth.
N face: four-leaved palmette.
|circumference of bowl||1.99 m|
|diameter of bowl||0.62 m (internal diameter 0.465 m)|
|height of base||0.175 m (not including heads)|
|total height||0.81 m|
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications: or, England's patron saints, London, 1899, 278.
C. and F. Thorn (eds) Domesday Book: Devon, Chichester, 1985, 17, 17.