Nothing of the abbey church remains in situ, and the surviving abbey buildings all postdate the 12thc. In the Abbey Gardens, where the church once stood, is an artificial ruin constructed of fragments from the site. Reset in the S wall of this are the voussoirs described below.
The abbey was founded in 675, and the church rebuilt after its destruction by the Danes by Bishop Aethelwold between 954 and 963. It is known to have been rebuilt again, largely under Abbots Rainald (1084-97) and Fabritius (1100-17), but Fabritius's church was not dedicated until 1239.
S wall of artificial ruin, 2.80 m from W corner, 0.70 m above ground. Chevron on face and soffit. Face, pointing outwards five thick rolls alternating with five thin. Soffit, partly concealed by surrounding masonry, but at least two thick rolls (not including the angle roll), again alternating with thin rolls.
|max. l.||0.53 m|
|max. measurable d. of soffit||0.22 m|
|w. at E (inner) end||0.12 m|
|w. at W (outer) end||0.135 m|
|max. l.||0.23 m|
|w. at E (outer) end||0.15 m|
|w. at W (inner) end||0.142 m|
M. Biddle, G. Lambrick, JNL Myres, 'The Early History of Abingdon, Berkshire and its Abbey', Medieval Archaeology 12 (1968), 26-68.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Berkshire. Harmondsworth, 1966 54-56.
J. Slater, 'A Sketch of the History of the Abbey of Abingdon', Berkshire Archaeological and Architectural Society Transactions, 1880-81, 51-62.