Goxhill was once a village but is now reduced to a farmhouse and buildings. The medieval church was largely rebuilt in 1786, the tower in 1817, the church again rebuilt in 1840, and the tower both repaired in 1860 and more recently. It is ‘a plain late Georgian building with Gothick details’ (Pevsner & Neave 1995). It has nave, chancel and W tower.
There is a restored cylindrical font ‘half renewed’. There are no other Romanesque remains.
Morcar’s manor at 1066 went to Drew de Bevrere by the time of the Domesday Book.
A church existed at Goxhill by the early thirteenth century, it was a rectory and was assessed for tax in 1291 at £5.
There are two straight-edged areas of new stone; replacement patterns in these areas respect the earlier forms. The scalloped support below the cylinder is modern and not likely to copy an original support.
The patterns used, seen standing in the aisle to the N of the font, and moving R to L, are:
|Depth of interior||0.33m|
|External diameter across modern rim||0.78m|
|Height of font||0.575m|
This is carved to full height, its few leaves at the ends of the branches. The leaves are diamond-shaped.
These have wide plain rings with a radial pattern in the centre of each. Incised below the completed medallions is perhaps a pattern of arches, but probably just a continuation of the medallions. All this pattern area except near the tree is new work, but the fillings of the circles are conformable.
Part new work, part old. The diagonal bands are interwoven and the treatment is regular.
Somewhat curved upwards, the bottom row longer than the upper, which has an inset of new work.
The original profile of the rim only remains in a small length above the Tree. It is plain and square; there is no trace of cable pattern.
Borthwick Institute faculty papers: Fac. 1939/2/29
N. Pevsner and D. Neave, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, 2nd. ed., Buildings of England, London, 1995.
A History of the County of York: East Riding, Volume 7 (Holderness Wapentake, north and middle sections), Victoria County History, London, 2002.
T. H. White, The Book of Beasts, London 1954.
R. Wood, “The Augustinians and the Romanesque Sculpture at Kirkburn Church”, East Yorkshire Historian 4 (2003), pp. 3-59.