St Nicholas, Baddesley Ensor, Warwickshire

Feature Sets (2)

Description

This church, of 1848, by Henry Chetton, replaces an earlier one, which contained 12thc. sculpture. None of the latter is preserved in the new church, but outside, at the base of the tower, are a number of voussoirs reassembled to form an arch.

History

Baddesley Ensor was formerly in the parish of Polesworth, and there was said to be a chapel dedicated to St.Nicholas which belonged to Polesworth Nunnery.

Features

Exterior Features

Exterior Decoration

Miscellaneous

Dimensions
h. of arch 0.79 m
total w. of arch 1.36 m
w. of opening 0.76 m
Voussoirs

In the churchyard at the S side of the tower 11 voussoirs have been formed into an arch. Voussoir 5 has no surface decoration, voussoir 7 is barely readable and there appears to be a fragment with pellet decoration wedged between voussoirs five and six. The rest of the voussoirs are carved with two rows of centrifugal chevron lateral to the face, with cogwheel edge. The chevron is of the profile roll/hollow, with a fine roll flanking the hollow.

Comments/Opinions

Prior to the 1960s the arch was situated above a passageway between cottages in Church Row, some distance away, and recorded by Pevsner in that position. (See entry on Atherston for details of a complete doorway of three orders taken from the church at Baddesley Ensor when it was demolished).

Bibliography

  • VCH Warwickshire 4:19 to 21

Location

Site Location
Baddesley Ensor
National Grid Reference
SP 271 986 
Boundaries
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Warwickshire
now: Warwickshire
Diocese
medieval: Worcester
now: Birmingham
Dedication
now: St Nicholas
medieval: not confirmed
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Harry Bodenham