Image of the feature "III. Exterior Features: 1. Doorways: South doorway to nave" at Garton-on-the-Wolds.
by Rita Wood.
This is a restoration by Pearson in 1856-7. The effect is less austere than the W doorway, but there are a few original elements that validate the degree of elaboration: the impost and label include original stonework.
The doorway is of four orders and label, with gabled projection having flanking colonettes on its angles.
|approx. height of opening||3.16m|
|width of opening||1.8m|