This small Victorian church, set in a pleasant estate village, was rebuilt from 1845. The builders reused many Norman stones quarried from a light yellow limestone and the light grey Hildenley limestone. These stones are now weathering, diversely but decisively. They probably came from the Norman Scampston chapel, on whose foundations the present church was erected (Stratford, 1911, 7); parts of the N and W walls were retained (Pevsner and Neave, 1995, 669).
Diagonal tooling can be seen on many of the stones, but no sculpture.
Scampston was a chapel to Rillington for centuries before it was demolished 1845-46 (Stratford (1911) 52).
G. Lawton, Collectio rerum ecclesiasticarum de dioecesi Eboracensi, London, 1842, 277-78.
J. E. Morris, The East Riding of Yorkshire. 2nd ed., 1919, 284.
N. Pevsner and D. Neave, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding, London, 1995, 669.
W. T. Stratford, Historical notes of Rillington and Scampston, Norton, 1911.