Loose sculpture, pillar piscina.

Image of the feature "V. Furnishings: 3. Piscinae/Pillar Piscinae: Pillar piscina" at Easington.

by Rita Wood.

Not in situ. The piscina was standing loose in the SE corner of the chancel at the time of the site visit. According to the Church Guide, this piece was discovered embedded in the wall over the E window during restorations in 1863; it dates it as 'undoubtedly EE'. It may be Transitional. The piscina has a square plan at the top. The basin has four triangular sides leading to a central hole. From a side view, the usual convention of an imitation pillar is followed, in this case in a restrained late 12thc. form with shallow relief. There is a square plinth, perhaps with curved corners, but they may be damaged. Above that is a two-stage, sleek-collared, understated ring. There is a continuous rounded ring. There is a cluster of four shafts below four single scallop capitals, attenuated like the bases. The elongation of the capitals may be due to function rather than style and the base rings resemble mid-century forms. The exit hole for the drainage is just below the ring of the capitals in the middle of one side. It is not regularly cut. There is no rebate at the top, but probably the bowl and the drainage hole would have been lead-lined, as was the case at Adel.

Dimensions

depth of bowl 0.1 m
h. of base 0.24 m
h. of capital 0.225 m
h. of columns 0.4 m
overall h. 0.86 m
w. at top 0.22 m