East Marton is also known as Marton-in-Craven, and, together with West Marton, is called Marton (Pevsner; Leach and Pevsner), Martons Ambo (Borthwick Institute) or Martons Both (locally).
St Peter's is a small Dales church in a small Dales village between Skipton and Clitheroe. The village street descends steeply from the main road, the churchyard is on the hillside near the bottom. Between the church and the river (now made into part of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal) are the platforms marking the site of medieval buildings; these are shown on OS map of 1852 as ‘Old Hall’. The church has a broad early tower with small windows; in the S wall of the tower are two slit windows (ground and first floor) with what were probably one-piece window-heads but are split. In the W wall of the tower, the lower storey has a round-headed window-head, while the higher level has one made with two flat stones meeting at a point. The N wall has a window with a one-piece window-head. The low nave, N vestry and chancel are largely an 18thc rebuild with five reused chevron voussoirs in the exterior walls of the nave and chancel. Inside, the S arcade is Perp, and there is a plain cylindrical font. There is also a fragment of a carved pillar, originating from St Helen’s Well at Thorp Arch near Tadcaster (Whitaker (1812), 185); see the report under Thorp Arch for the find-spot.
In Domesday Book, before the Conquest, Archil and Orm and Ernebrand had 6 carucates for geld; after, in East and West Marton, Roger the Poitevin had 6 carucates. Shortly thereafter (following Whitaker (1805), 67), the manor was in the hands of a family who took their name from the village, and the Marton family retained possession, and the advowson of the church, until the 17thc.
Set over the central window of the N nave wall is a chevron voussoir, two centrifugal units wide with a quirked roll profile and drop-shaped leaves between the chevrons, each decorated with a row of beading along the spine.
High on the nave N wall, towards the E end are two reset chevron voussoirs, like that described at 2 above. The upper one (called 4) is damaged on the upper half of the face.
High on the nave N wall, towards the E end are two reset chevron voussoirs, like that described at 2 above. The lower one (called 5) is in good condition.
This is plain and round-headed but it is plastered and painted; there is no distinctively twelfth-century masonry visible.
|Width of opening||2.46m|
The plain cylindrical font is at the W end of the nave near the tower arch. The font has been cut to take the pipe of a drain from the basin, presumably to save the difficulty of boring vertically downwards through the approximately 0.33m of stone which a central drain would have required. A lead pipe fitted in this recess would have taken the baptismal water away into the floor of the building.
|Depth of interior of bowl||0.36m|
|External diam. of bowl||0.64-0.68m|
|Ht. of font||0.69m|
|Internal diam. of bowl||0.5-0.52m|
The shaft is displayed mounted on a wooden support and stands in a corner against the west wall of the nave near the tower arch. The stone has four faces, two a little broader than the others, and it tapers slightly upwards; the whole surface is covered with one continuous design. There is a straight margin limiting the design at the bottom, this is clearest on side C. The upper limit of the shaft is worn and uneven, with perhaps the highest point being on side C; there is no sign of an upper straight margin in the carving. Within the top is a smooth but irregular depression.
The main ornamental feature is an irregular swirl of wavy trails which continue randomly round all four sides. There are occasional buds or spirals as terminations, but no leaves seem present. There is no obvious trunk or root as a source for the vegetal feature, unless it is on side D, which is the most damaged side, consequently it is hard to say if there is any beginning or end of the trails. Sometimes they are narrow and rather flat; broader ones have a bold rounded central band with narrower borders. Two, perhaps three, of the sides of the stone are ‘inhabited’: there is a winged quadruped on side A, and a standing man on side B (for the third, see Comments). There are at least three fruits (sides B and C), composed of berries or scales in an elongated, pointed cluster. From the best-preserved parts of the sculpture, it can be seen that the standard of work was highly competent.
|Height of tenon||0.25m|
|Max. height overall||0.84m|
|Max. height visible||0.585m|
|Width at bottom, narrower face||0.23m|
|Width at bottom, wider face||0.26m|
|Depth of hollow in top of shaft||0.06m|
This is the best preserved face, and it contains a winged quadruped in the upper part. The claws of its L front foot make a knob on the angle; the second foot is probably extended along the angle above. One hind foot is well-preserved, while the remains of the second hind foot could have been to the R of the main trail. A quadruped like this would have a tufted tail, but this cannot be distinguished. The face and head of the animal face R, but these are almost entirely flaked away, though one triangular ear is characteristic; perhaps the sharp triangle below is a part of the lower ear. There is the suggestion of the upper lip in some views.
This face has the figure of a standing man facing L and holding something upright in his R hand; the object is symmetrical with two knobs below and an upper elliptical or pointed part. Some photos show that there is a spiral on the R knob above the hand; the two knobs are thus likely to represent a pair of leaves below a fruit.
This side has more of the rambling trails, and may have a third figure.
This side is the most decayed but may contain the source of the trails at the bottom R.
E. Coatsworth, Corpus of Anglo Saxon Stone Sculpture, Western Yorkshire vol. VIII, Oxford 2008.
W. G. Collingwood, 'Anglian and Anglo-Danish Sculpture in the West Riding', Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 23 (1915), 129-299.
P. Leach and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Yorkshire West Riding: Leeds, Bradford and the North, Yale 2009.
J. E. Morris, The West Riding of Yorkshire. 2nd ed. (1906) 1919.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: West Riding, Harmondsworth, 1959. 2nd. ed. revised E. Radcliffe. 1967.
T. D. Whitaker, The History and Antiquities of the Deanery of Craven, London 1805, 2nd edn. 1812 and 3rd edn.Leeds 1878.