Although the church has a good collection of Anglo-Saxon sculpture and some Norman fragments, none of the fabric appears to date from before the 13thc, which is essentially an E.E. chancel with many Perpendicular additions.
Fragments of Anglo-Saxon cross shafts survive at the church and by the early 10thc. a bishopric was established there, implying a substantial church. Bishops continued to be based at Ramsbury until 1058 when the See was united with Sherborne. After 1066 Ramsbury Church passed to the canons of Salisbury.
The church contains a large collection of Anglo-Saxon fragments, but four of the stones appear to be Norman in date.
This stone is 0.33 m long, 0.19 m wide and 0.13 m high, with decoration on two of its faces. A thin roll moulding and a band of simple zigzags are the principal decoration of the stone.
The second stone has a maximum width of 0.33 m tapering down to 0.22 m and it is 0.33 m high. It has a maximum depth of 0.19 m. The stone appears to be part of the legs of a figure with the folds of drapery between the thighs.
A small piece of stone decorated with imbrication (possibly 12thc).
A piece of stone with heavy striations (it could be 12thc).
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 377-9.
H.M. Taylor and J. Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, Cambridge 1980.
A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 12, Ramsbury and Selkley Hundreds; the Borough of Marlborough, Victoria County History, London, 1983, 12-61, esp. 42-5.