The chancel originated in the late 11th or early 12thc., and its north wall bears the scar of an ornamental arcade which formerly existed on the exterior. On the S side of the chancel there is the outline of a blocked door and window of the 12thc. The rest of the church is a mixture of 13thc. fabric, a Perpendicular tower and a series of 19thc. additions and restorations. The N transept chapel was enlarged in 1829 and in 1845 the chancel arch was added. This is also the date for the enlargement of the S chapel. The church was restored by A W Blomfield in 1876 and the tower by Philip Webb in 1893.
The value of East Knoyle to its lord in 1086 was £30.4, and £28 c. 1070. The Bishop of Winchester held the advowson but it was not appropriated by the Cathedral. In 1298 the rectory was valued at £20.
|Diameter of shaft||0.18 m|
|Width of neck||0.25 m|
|Width of top of capital||0.24 m|
|Height of capital||0.19 m|
|Width of bottom of capital||0.22 m|
|Width of neck||0.28 m|
|Width of top of capital||0.3 m|
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 231-32.
A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 11, Downton Hundred; Elstub and Everleigh Hundred. Victoria County History, London 1980, 82-98.