The chancel was rebuilt in the 1870s but the nave and the west tower belong to the 13th and 14thc. The only potentially 12thc. carvings are two eroded blocks set on either side of the arch in the N wall of the N porch.
The lord of the manor in 1086 Brictric brother of Alwy was the value recorded in Domesday Book was £10. The church was valued at £ 6. 13s. 4d. in the 1291 Taxatio.
|E stone, depth||0.21 m|
|E stone, height||0.22 m|
|E stone, width||0.28 m|
|W stone, depth||0.20 m|
|W stone, height||0.41 m|
|W stone, width||0.21 m|
A crude animal with thin legs, a large mouth with large teeth and prominent nostrils.
This appears to be a pair of figures, or a two-headed figure as there appears to be only one pair of legs on the sculpture. None of the surface detail has survived.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, Buildings of England: Wiltshire. Harmondsworth 1975, 2nd edition, 365.