Though the crocketed spire on the W tower is 15th c., the rest of the tower, the nave with its S aisle, and the chancel are of the 13th century. Also of 15th c. date are the S chapel off the chancel and the S porch. There was some restoration work here in 1865 and again, under C. H. Fowler, in 1887. The narrow W window in the W tower is Romanesque.
Though there are entries for Barkston in the Domesday Book, there is no mention of a church here in 1086. However, there was a church here by the mid-12th century as demonstrated by a record of a disagreement between the incumbents of Barkston and nearby Honington over the payment of church offerings by the tenants of the priory of Stixwold on land the nuns owned in Honington. This led to a settlement between the churches of Honington and Barkston. Barkston was to receive the tenant’s wax-scot (a duty paid to the church for candles) at the feast of All Saints as well as a secondary mortuary fee (see Owen).
The round-headed W window is of one order. The attached nook shafts appear to be coursed and are set on attic bases. The necking of the capitals is too worn to determine its specific form. On the N nook shaft there is a flat leaf capital and on the S nook shaft a waterleaf capital; between the furled tips of the waterleaf there is a projecting disc. The impost has a roll and a hollow chamfer. In the arch there is a roll in a hollow and then nebule moulding on the face. The label is much worn, but there is a lower hollow chamfer and the label stops appear to have been human heads.
D. Owen, Church and Society in Medieval Lincolnshire, History ofLincolnshire, vol. 5., Lincoln: Lincolnshire Local History Society, 1971 (1990), 17.
N. Pevsner and J. Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire. London: Penguin, 1989 (1990), 116.