Early monastic site with ruined round tower and nave and chancel church. A medieval residential tower was built over the earlier church probably in the 16thc.
Little of the history of Aghaviller is known. It was the site of an early Christian monastery, the patron of which was St Brendan of Birr. The death of an abbott, Caroc is recorded there in 896. During the later Middle Ages it became a parish church. The building was fortified, probably in the 16thc., through the superimposition of a tower house on the earlier church building.
|N jamb, d.||0.38 m|
|N jamb, h.||0.30 m|
|N jamb, w.||0.47 m|
|S jamb, d.||0.27 m|
|S jamb, h.||0.39 m|
|S jamb, w.||0.38 m|
W. Carrigan, The History and Antiquities of the Diocese of Ossory, Vol.4, Dublin, 1905, 1.
P. Harbison, Guide to the National and Historic Monuments of Ireland, Dublin, 1992, 193.