The exterior of the building is largely 15thc, as some significant rebuilding and re-modelling of the church appears to have happened then, and the buttresses would have been added to the nave and chancel. The upper part of the tower would also date from this period but the lower story may be the original 12thc structure. The porch dates from 1634 (see date stone). Some further alterations/additions were made towards the end of the 18thc. Norman elements include a doorway in the S wall of the nave, the imposts of the chancel arch and, possibly, some small windows.
There are no records for the church before the early 14thc.
A doorway or single order with extensive beakhead ornament. Each head is formed of a roughly triangular shape, with a thin, raised central beak, bulbous raised eye sockets and two areas of raised, semi-circular ridges above. Small, hollowed, inverted triangles have been placed on either side of the top of the head. The arch is enclosed by a narrow moulding.
|Width of opening||1.16m|
This is a tube font decorated with a continuous low-relief arcading. The arches are supported by wider columns with capitals and bases; all resting on a wide curved band of roll moulding. The mouldings representing the arches and columns are of various width.
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, London 1899, III, 39.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Yorkshire, The North Riding, Harmondsworth, 1966, 67.
A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2, ed. William Page, London, 1923, 225-231.