The present building consists of a porch, tower, nave and an apsidal chancel. The church was comprehensively restored in 1860, though many of the original Romanesque parts were retained or re-used. These include a chancel arch, arcades, a re-set doorway and several windows.
There are only six churches in England that are dedicated to St Felix, a 7thc monk from Burgundy, who is credited with converting the Kingdom of East Anglia. The dedication would support the existence of a pre-Conquest church. However, there is no mention of a church within the small manor at Felixkirk as featured in the Domesday Book. There are documentary references to lands at Felixkirk being owned by the Knights of St John as early as the 12thc (VCH, 160-162).
This reset doorway is not entirely original. The R nook shaft and capital are clearly restorations, as are many of the blocks used in the arch. However, the capital on the L, with its scallop form is similar to some of the capitals in the chancel arch. The bulbous base, resting on a square plinth also looks original.
This has a single, narrow opening.
Though the arch between the chancel and the apse is clearly part of the 1860 programme of restoration, the capitals supporting the arch are much older and share many similarities with the capitals in the W arch. There is a similar format of intertwining stems issuing from stylised heads and masks. These carvings should be regarded as being by the same hand as those in the arch separating the nave and chancel which were reused as part of the restoration.
The arch between nave and chancel consists of two orders. The first, inner, order is composed of fairly elaborate and uniformly carved beakhead. The outer order is composed of lateral chevron on the face and angled chevron on the soffit.
The arch is supported by three capitals on each side.
On the R side the central block is composed of complex intertwining stems forming stylised foliage. The stems issue from a stylised humanoid mask in the centre of the block and from more animal-like faces at the corners. It has thick, incised necking. W capital has four cones supporting volute spirals and plain necking. E capital has a more simple cushion like form and plain necking.
The central capital on the L side has a similar format to its counterpart on the opposite side but stems are restricted to the upper register. Similar forms can be found on the E capital, though there are no spiral volutes and the surfaces are more worn. The W capital has a simple cushion form though with the introduction of a stylised leaf running down the edge.
The nave arcades consist of two bays. The piers have simple, square cut capitals and abaci. The imposts have plain, chamfered blocks. All is supported by plain, chamfered bases.
W. Grainge, The vale of Mowbray: a historical and topographical account of Thirsk and its neighbourhood, London 1859, 205-213.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Yorkshire, The North Riding, Harmondsworth, 1966, 161.
A History of the County of York North Riding: Volume 2, ed. William Page, London, 1923, 160-162.