The church consists of W tower, nave and chancel, the latter two rebuilt in 1819 in Georgian style, but the original doorway was saved and inserted as S doorway of the nave. The W tower includes a S doorway with a lintel made from an Anglo-Saxon carved cross or gravestone, the most important pre-Conquest sculpture in the region. This is not described here, but photographs are included.
The Domesday Survey records that in 1086 Acton was held by Odo, Bishop of Bayeux, and Urso from him.
Benefice of Acton Beauchamp and Evesbatch with Stanford Bishop.
Round headed (outer arch slightly depressed), two orders, reset.
1st order: Continuous and hollow chamfered terminating at both ends with stop chamfers.
2nd order: En-delit nook-shafts on water-holding bases, with imposts with overhanging rolls, as at Stanford Bishop. The W capital is of triple trumpet scallop form; the E has three human heads, one at each upper angle, and pairs of leaves between them. The neckings are plain and damaged. The arch has a fat angle roll, and there is no label.
|h of opening||2.23 m|
|w of opening||1.13 m|
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 79-80.
Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 6890. Now available online at http://www.smr.herefordshire.gov.uk/db.php/p
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 21, 63.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 1-2.