The church stands SE of this N Yorkshire village. The medieval church was demolished and rebuilt with a W tower, nave and chancel in 1821, but elements of a Romanesque doorway were re-installed at the W end.
In 1170 Walter Ingram gave the church of Arncliffe and Welbury to the Augustinian canons at Guisbrough. This grant was confirmed by Henry II in 1182 and by Walter's son c.1186 (Brown 1902, 125-28)
This doorway was reconstructed as the entrance in the W face of the tower during the 1821 rebuilding. Two orders.
L capital integral with the block to its L: trumpet scallops; cones divided by twin narrow tapering wedges; shields not visible but merged into the abacus. Narrow necking. Simple rectangular abacus defined by a groove. Mason’s mark on the adjacent block. Two impost blocks: one in the same stone as the label; the other in the stone of the arch. Modern replacements inlcude the shafts. Simple, semi-circular arch, with slight chamfer. R capital: trumpet scallops; cones divided by single tapering wedges and one twin; cones again buried in the abacus. Necking is damaged. Simple rectangular abacus. Both the bases are very worn. Some herringbone tooling on blocks around the doorway.
Label: plain and chamfered.
W. Brown, ‘Ingleby Arncliffe’, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, 16 (1902) 122-226.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: The North Riding, New Haven and London, 1966 (2002), 200.
Victoria County History: York North Riding, vol. 2, 1923, 240-43.