The church has undergone numerous changes throughout the past, but still incorporates masonry of 12thc. date. The base course with chamfered edge, presumably from the Romanesque church remains in part on the exterior of the W front and the lower part of a blocked doorway on the N side of the nave can still be seen. The most significant surviving section of the early church is part of a blocked doorway on the S exterior of the nave, west of the later (1830) S extension. There is evidence above the doorway of at least two phases of construction. The church interior was re-ordered in 1932 and nothing Romanesque is now to be seen inside.
There are no known documents referring to the church before the middle of the 13thc., when the church appears to have been an independent parsonage. In 1444, the tiends and patronage were appropriated to the collegiate establishment at Corstorphine with the consent of the Archbishop of St Andrews.
The W half of a round-headed, blocked doorway survives. It is of single order with plain right-angled voussoirs. The hoodmould around this is carved with sawtooth decoration, below which is an indented edge and chamfer. The plain impost is cut from the same stone as the capital and has a simple lower chamfer. The surviving capital is partly imbedded in the later infill, but the main face is of triple scallop form, with a plain roll necking and undecorated upper face. Neither a shaft nor a base survives, but there are chamfered stones across the base of the doorway.
|Height of capital (not including attached impost)||0.18 m|
|Height of doorway||2.9 m (approx.)|
|Width of front face (capital only)||0.22 m|
On the E exterior is a re-used stone, carved with a four-petal design. The petals overlap and extend beyond an indented circle.
R. Fawcett, Corpus of Scottish Medieval Parish Churches (http://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/corpusofscottishchurches/)
D. MacGibbon and Ross, The Ecclesiastical Architecture of Scotland, I (1986), 371.
C. McWilliam, The Buildings of Scotland: Lothian (Harmondsworth, 1978), 401-2.
RCAHMS, Inventory of Monuments - Midlothian (1929), 158.