St Mary's has an aisleless nave with plain 12thc. N and S doorways, both under porches but the N porch blocked off and converted into a vestry. The chancel is entirely 19thc. (by St Aubyn, 1891), with big niches to N and S. The N niche contains the 1634 tomb of Katherine Lady Gorges (d.1633); the N contains the organ. The west tower is 13thc. and unbuttressed but has shafts at the angles. Its bell-openings date from 1705. The church is faced with grey rubble except for the chancel, of regularly coursed brown sandstone.
The largest part of Maidwell (4 hides and 2 parts of 1 virgate) was held by Berner from Mainou in 1086. Smaller holdings were in the hands of St Edmundsbury Abbey (one third of 1 virgate) and Ansgar the clerk (1 hide and 3 virgates). No church was recorded, although the presence of Ansgar might suggest one.
Benefice of Maidwell with Draughton and Lamport with Faxton.
The round-headed doorway is under a porch, which has been blocked off and converted into a vestry. The arch has two plain orders and a simple fillet label; the jambs a single chamfered order with imposts not projecting at all.
|h. of opening||2.14 m|
|w. of opening||1.21 m|
|h. of opening||2.27 m|
|w. of opening||1.22 m|