The medieval church does not survive, but some ashlar may have been reused in the construction of a burial vault on the site. In 1627, the church was described as in a ruinous state, the roof already decayed. Certain repairs were made in 1669, but in 1688 a report noted further faults with the roof. In 1750, it was finally decided to unite the parish of Kirknewton with that of East Calder, following which a new church was built on an entirely different site. In 1780, much of the church appears to have been demolished, and in 1844 it was reported that there were ‘scanty remains’ on the site of the old church. Until the 1950s/60s, a hogback type grave cover was to be seen in the churchyard, S of the ruins. It has since disappeared, but a photograph and various descriptions survive.
There is no reference to the church before 1275, when it appears in the papal tax accounts. The first known rector is Patrick Lesours, who is named in 1450. In 1472, Kirknewton was appropriated to a prebend in the collegiate church of St Giles, Edinburgh.
A description of the hogback type grave cover and the surviving photograph show scale ornament on the sides and on the W end. The E end is described as broken and the end stones are described as not original to the grave, though the siting of the grave cover is thought to have occupied its original position, at about 6 yards S of the W end of the ruins. The ridge of the grave cover is not exactly in the centre of the sloping sides and it is slightly arched.
|Average height (measured 1929)||0.33 m|
|Length (measured 1929)||1.715 m|
|Width of E end (measured 1929)||0.36 m (approx.)|
|Width of W end (measured 1929)||0.465 (approx.)|
W. Cameron, ‘Parish of Kirknewton’, The Statistical Account of Scotland, Edinburgh 1793, 407.
R. Fawcett, et al., Corpus of Scottish Medieval Parish Churches, (http://arts.st-andrews.ac.uk/corpusofscottishchurches/).
J. Lang, ‘Hogback Monuments in Scotland’, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 105 (1975), 206-35.
C. McWilliam, The Buildings of Scotland, Lothian, Harmondsworth 1978, 275.
RCAHMS, Inventory of Monuments - Midlothian and West Lothian, Edinburgh, 1929, 96-97.
A. Reid, ‘Notes on the Churchyard of Currie, Kirknewton, and the Calders’, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 40 (1906), 231-32.
T. Ross, ‘Notice of Undescribed Hog-backed Monuments at Abercorn and Kirknewton’, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 38 (1904), 422-27.