The originally pre-Conquest church comprises, chancel, nave with N and S aisles and S porch, and W tower. The thick-walled nave is 11thc and it has a two-bay 12thc S arcade. There are traces of a round-headed window at the W end of the S aisle wall. The chancel was rebuilt in the early 13thc and the three bay N arcade was added at this time. The W tower is 14thc and the S porch 15thc. A clerestory was added in the 16thc. and N and S chapels in the 19thc. The chancel was restored in 1898. What is thought to be the decorated impost from the original S doorway now forms the W impost of the pier of the S arcade. A pre-Conquest carving of a Crucifixion is set into the S side of the wall of the S arcade. This probably formed part of a Rood (RCHME, 1910, 224; Pevsner and Cherry 1977, 372). The carving is discussed in detail in the Corpus of Anglo-Saxon Stone Sculpture (CASSS 1995, 240-41). Romanesque sculpture is found on the S doorway.
Before the Conquest Walkern was held by Alwin Horne and the overlord was King Edward. After the Conquest, Deormann of London was Lord and also tenant-in-chief (Open Domesday: http://opendomesday.org/place/TL2826/walkern/).
Round-headed, of two orders.
|height of capital||0.19 m|
|height of opening||2.29 m|
|width of opening||1.13 m|
Modern bases, detached nook shafts, very crude capitals without necking. These could be unfinished.
Of two bays.
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications: or, England's patron saints, London, 1899, 293.
N. Pevsner and B. Cherry, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, 2nd ed., Harmondsworth, 1977, 372–3.
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire, London, 1910, 224-25.
T. P. Smith, The Anglo-Saxon Churches of Hertfordshire, London, 1973, 30–34.
D. Tweddle, M. Biddle, B Kjolbe-Biddle, Corpus of Anglo Saxon Stone Sculpture: IV South-East England, Oxford, 1995, 240–41.
The Victoria County History: A History of the County of Hertford, London, 1912, 3:155.