The first approx. 3m of height of the rectangular building is of 12thc. masonry for the most part. The E and W windows, now blocked, can be seen. Floors have been inserted and partitions made over centuries. It is still easy to see the ground plan of what may have been the 12thc. church.
The manor of Wick Episcopi, which included Lower Wick, belonged to the church of Worcester before the Conquest and its site is said to have been granted by King Offa to Bishop Milred before 775. It continued to be held by the Bishops of Worcester until 1558. The manor supplied the church of Worcester with service and produce until the Dissolution. Before the Conquest, St Cuthbert's, Wick Episcopi, was one of several chapels belonging to St Helen's, Worcester, which passed with all its possessions to Worcester Cathedral in 960. St Cuthbert's, in its turn, served as the mother church of several chapels including St John-in-Bedwardine, Worcester. Before 1236, St Cuthebert's became the parish church but was superseded in this role by St John-in-Bedwardine in 1371 and duly abandoned.
The structure, identified as St Cuthbert's Chapel, Wick Episcopi is now used as an outbuilding of Bennett's Farm and Dairy, Lower Wick.
There is little doubt that the font found 'deeply buried' in the 'fold-yard' here in 1876 is the 12thc. original which furnished St.Cuthbert's until the old church's demolition was ordered in the 14thc. The farmer gave the font to the builder of Crown East church which was in course of erection, and where it may be seen at present. A copy was made and installed at Hindlip 11 years later.