Easingwold is a small town about 12 miles N of York. The church is situated to the N of the town and has Norman origins: it possibly consisted of a chancel, rebuilt in the 14thc, and a nave with N aisle. Due its decay, the structure was largely altered and rebuilt at the beginning of the 15thc; it now consists of a chancel and nave, N and S aisles, N vestry, W tower, S porch, added in the 19thc. The only 12thc sculptural feature is the reset doorway in the N wall of the nave.
The Domesday Survey records that in 1066 the manor of 'Eisicewalt' was held by Earl Morcar and was worth £32; in 1086 its value fell to £1 and the manor returned in the hands of the Crown. The survey also records a priest in Easingwold, and this evidence indicates that a church existed here. In 1259 the manor was granted to Simon de Montfort Earl of Leicester, having been held from 1219 by Henry III to Robert, Abbot of Tournay. In 1265 King Henry III granted it to his son Edmund Crouchback.
In the N wall of the nave a doorway was reset in its present position during the alterations of the 15thc. Its pointed arch indicates a date of c.1200, and it features two orders.
|Depth of L capitals||0.49m|
|Depth of R capitals||0.49m|
|Height of L capitals||0.25m|
|Height of opening||2.45m|
|Height of R capitals||0.27m|
|Width of L capitals||0.55m|
|Width of opening||1.17m|
|Width of R capitals||0.53m|
This order is thin, triple, and features three quarter attached shafts on plain attic bases. Capitals are very worn; they have are plain and cone-shaped, and feature thin, ridged abaci. The necking is mostly worn or broken but looks to have been plain and semicircular. The arch is plain with inner chamfer.
This order is thin and has double attached shafts on plain attic bases. Capitals are plain, cone-shaped with thin, ridged abaci. The necking is similar to the 1st order. The lower section of the arch is rounded.
The fragment is located outside the Lady chapel, but there is no indication as to which part of the building it may have originated from. Its roughly cut volute spirals would seem to suggest a date from the first quarter of the 12thc.
Victoria County History: Yorkshire, II (General volume, including Domesday Book), London 1974, 128-34.
N. Pevsner, revised by E. Radcliffe, Yorkshire: West Riding. The Buildings of England, Harmondsworth 1967, 149.