The northern half of the cruciform Norman church remains, although much rebuilt; the E window of the N transept retains its original jambs and sill, and inside arch. The font is the only Romanesque sculptural feature.
Laneast was founded as a chapelry by the Augustinian Priory of Launceston and St Stephens-by Launceston, the original priory church, remained its mother church until the Reformation, as it did of many other churches in and around Launceston.
Of Purbeck stone, in the nave beside the W pier of the S arcade. The bowl is in the shape of a cushion capital with corner heads, the sides bearing six-pointed stars in circles surrounded by snakes with a head at each end. This bowl, however, has three unusual features: one corner head is replaced by a long oak leaf; the top border is chip-carved with four-pointed stars (or saltires) in a band separated from the corner heads and side carvings by a roll moulding; and it is not square [see dimensions below]. The basin is circular. The octagonal stem has a roll moulding at the top, but is square at the bottom; the step is modern.
|Depth of basin||0.26 m|
|Diameter of basin||0.53 m|
|Diameter of bowl (E-W)||0.76 m|
|Diameter of bowl (N-S)||0.67 m|
|Height of bowl||0.56 m|
P. Beacham and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Cornwall (New Haven and London 2014), pp. 268-69.
C. Henderson, The Cornish Church Guide (London 1925), p. 103.
A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol. III (Truro and London 1870), pp. 1-3.
N. Pevsner and E. Radcliffe, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, 2nd ed (Harmondsworth 1970), pp. 88-89.
E. H. Sedding, Norman Architecture in Cornwall: A Handbook to old Cornish ecclesiastical architecture with notes on ancient manor houses (London and Truro 1909), pp. 188-90.