Ingoldsby is a small village about seven miles SE of Grantham. The church lies to the W of the village and consists of a short nave with N and S aisles that embrace the W tower, a S porch, and a chancel. As Pevsner notes, though the tower, the S aisle, and the Victorian chancel may originally have been from c.1300, they underwent significant renovation during the 17thc. Romanesque sculptural remains are found in the N arcade of the nave.
The Domesday Survey records that in 1066 'Ingoldesby' was held by Ulf Fenman, Kolgrim of Grantham, Godwin of Barrowby, Sinward, and Ingulf; in 1086 the lordship passed to Gilbert of Ghent, Robert Malet, and Walter of Aincourt, and its value remained of £0.5. A church is also mentioned in Domesday Book.
The N arcade consists of tree bays featuring round-headed arches with two orders, both chamfered. The first order has pyramidal stop-chamfers above the E respond on the N side (S side destroyed), above pier 2 and in the W respond on the S side.
|Height of E respond capital||0.29 m|
|Height of pier 1 capital||0.28 m.|
|Height of pier 2 capital||0.29 m|
|Height of W respond capital||0.29 m|
|Width of E respond capital, N face||0.22 m.|
|Width of E respond capital, W face||0.24 m|
|Width of pier 1 capital, E face||0.455 m|
|Width of pier 1 capital, N face||0.415 m|
|Width of pier 1 capital, S and W face||0.46 m|
|Width of pier 2 capital, S, W, E, N faces||0.46 m|
|Width of W respond capital, E face||0.44 m|
|Width of W respond capital, N face||0.07 m|
|Width of W respond capital, S face||0.21 m|
The S half of this respond has been cut away, perhaps originally to accommodate a rood screen; presently the pulpit abuts this area. The attic base is much damaged but is clearly of the 12thc. The shaft is semicircular. The capital necking is rounded but has a horizontal quirk evenly dividing it. Upright leaves of the nicked capital are damaged at their tips, but enough remains on the NW leaf to identify the capital as originally a waterleaf type. At the NE side of the capital a trefoil leaf furls out and onto the chamfered wall behind the shaft. The abacus is plain. The impost, which is a later replacement, features a hollow chamfer with a quirk on the upright.
The base is 13thc and is identical to that on the S arcade. A circular, coursed column carries a nicked, waterleaf capital featuring a top and bottom chamfered necking. On the E half of the N face, between two of the large waterleaves, there is an upright stem of square section which carries an upright pointing leaf, almost spear-like, which has two smaller, rounded leaves at its base. The abacus is plain. The impost, with a hollow chamfer and a quirk on the upright, looks to be original of the 12thc.
Similar in almost all its parts to pier 1 with the only exception of the capital, which has nascent stiff-leaf on it, or, as Pevsner notes, it might be 'still Norman, but on the way to stiff-leaf'. The tips of the lower, smaller leaves project outward and slightly downward from the NW and SW angles between the larger leaves, as what may be a bulbous 'bud' form. The broken stone on the NE and SE angles suggests that 'buds' projected from these angles as well.
N. Pevsner and J. Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, London 1990, 406-407.