St Vedast, Tathwell, Lincolnshire

Feature Sets (2)

Description

Isolated on a wooded hillside above the village, St Vedast is primarily a Georgian church consisting of a chancel with a polygonal apse, a nave and a W tower, all of brick except for the base of the tower. A NE vestry and S porch were added c. 1886 under the direction of the vicar, W. G. Patchwell. The lowest stage of the W tower is rough ashlar of the early 12thc, and the tower arch inside belongs to the same date.

History

Domesday Book records a church at Tathwell in 1086 on land held by Earl Hugh, presumably Hugh d’Avranches, the 1st earl of Chester and close confidant of King William.

Features

Interior Features

Arches

Tower/Transept arches

W tower arch

Round headed and of two orders to the E and W; triple responds.

The triple responds and the arch are made from greenstone.

Dimensions
S triple respond
Height of E capital 0.28 m
Height of N capital 0.28 m
Height of W capital 0.28 m
Width of E capital, E, N face 0.30 m
Width of N capital, E face 0.20 m
Width of N capital, N face 0. 22 m
Width of N capital, W face 0. 52 m
Width W capital, N face 0. 30 m
Width W capital, W face 0.295 m
N triple respond
Height of E capital 0.28 m
Height of S capital 0.28 m
Height of W capital 0.28 m
Width of E capital, E, S face 0.29 m
Width of S capital, E face 0.22 m
Width of S capital, S face 0. 51 m
Width of S capital, W face 0. 215 m
Width W capital, S face 0.28 m
Width W capital, W face 0. 27 m
1; 1st order

The hollow chamfer base on the S respond and the chamfered base on the N respond have been restored. Coursed semicircular shafts carry sheathed, scallop capitals with thick roll mould necking. The necking on the W side of the S capital is broken off. The plain arch springs from chamfered imposts.

2; 2nd order, E side

Both the bases are chamfered; the S one is restored but the N base, in its extremely worn condition, looks original. Coursed, detached nook shafts carry sheathed scallop capitals with thick roll mould necking. The sheaths are emphasized over the cones through a higher relief. The abacus has two adjacent semi-circular shields dropping down from the top of the capital on both faces of the N capital and on the N face only on the S capital. A chamfered impost carries the plain arch.

3; 2nd order, W side

Both the bases are chamfered; as on the E side, the S one is restored but the N base is worn and looks original. Coursed, detached nook shafts; the lowest and highest course on the N shaft are very tall, perhaps replacements. The sheathed, scallop capitals are similar to those of the 2nd order on the E side of the arch but lack the abacus shields. The necking on the N side of the S capital is broken off and the necking on the N capital has been replaced. The chamfered imposts have been heavily repaired and carry the plain arch.

Comments/Opinions

The rough ashlar masonry of the lower stage of the tower, and the heaviness of the carved capitals of the tower arch, suggest an early 12thc date for this work.

Bibliography

  • F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications: or, England’s Patron Saints, Volume 3, London 1899, 276.

  • Domesday Book, Lincolnshire, ed. J. Moore, Chichester 1975, 13:28.

  • N. Pevsner and J. Harris, revised N. Antram, The Buildings of England, Lincolnshire. London 1989 (2nd ed., reprt. 1990), 741-42.

Location

Site Location
Tathwell
National Grid Reference
TF 320 829 
Boundaries
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Lincolnshire
now: Lincolnshire
Diocese
medieval: Lincoln (Dorchester to 1085)
now: Lincoln
Dedication
now: St Vedast
medieval: St Vedast (Pre-Reformation)
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Thomas E. Russo 
Visit Date
14 Dec 2000