Dilwyn is a village in the N of the county, 6 miles WSW of Leominster. The church is in the village centre, built of local sandstone rubble and ashlar, and consists of a chancel, an aisled nave with 5-bay arcades and a transeptal N chapel. The S doorway is 13thc, under a14thc porch, while the N doorway is blocked. The W tower is slightly displaced to the S, and is the oldest part of the church dating from c.1200. There are Romanesque windows in its N, S and W faces. A disused font is also 12thc work. The font in current use is a 14thc piece sited in the centre of the nave at the W end.
The chief manor in Dilwyn was held by Edwin in 1066, and by William d’Ecouis in 1086. It was valued at 3 hides. William also held a manor that was held by Leominster Abbey before it was dissolved in the 11thc, by Almaer in 1066, and by Richard from William of Ecouis in 1086. It was assessed at 1 hide. A third manor of 1 hide in the same vill, also held by William in 1086, had been held by Earnwig in 1066.
As S face 2nd storey window.
Sited in the SW angle of the nave, on a ledge surrounded by old gravestones is a plain tub-shaped font bowl, unlined and with marks indicating lock removal at the NW and SE of the bowl. The bowl has a horizontal crack, repaired with mortar, just below the rim.
|External diameter of bowl at rim||0.78m|
|Height of bowl||0.55m|
|Interior diameter of bowl at rim||0.59m|
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 195-97.
Historic England Listed Building 149798
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 110-12.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 3: North-west, 1934, 36-43.