St. Martin’s is hidden in a wood off the A16 between North Thorseby and Holten le Clay. The church is primarily Victorian and dates from James Fowler’s 1861 rebuilding. However, the central tower, connecting with the nave to the W and the chancel to the E, is of the late 11thc.
Domesday Book lists Algar as lord in TRE and Ilbert of Lacy as lord in 1086, when tenant-in-chief was Odo of Bayeux. Waithe was taxable at 2.7 geld units. No church is mentioned. In 1203 the advowson of the church was confirmed as belonging to the nearby abbey of Humberston, a house of Benedictine monks of the order of Tiron.
Four openings, one each on the E, S, W, and N sides of the bell stage of the tower. Each double opening has a central, circular en delit shaft; the bases cannot be seen and appear to be embedded in the sills. All four capitals are of the cushion type and have roll mould necking. The E capital is almost completely weathered away. There is a chamfered impost above each capital and in the jambs; plain arch openings.
F. Arnold-Forster, Studies in Church Dedications or England’s Patron Saints, London 1899, III, 291.
D. Stocker and P. Everson, Summoning St. Michael: Early Romanesque Towers in Lincolnshire, Oxford, 2006, 273-279.
The Victoria History of the County of Lincoln, vol. II, 1906 (1988), 133.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire. London, 1990, 779.