The church, comprising a chancel, aisled central tower, aisled nave and S porch, was rebuilt at the end of the 13thc., but incorporates some reset 12thc. work. This includes the moulded S doorway ofc.1200, earlier fragments of billet (chancel, int.; nave ext.) and a voussoir (nave, ext.). The unusual font is probably late 12thc. in date. The vestry was added in 1934.
Lancing, but no church, is mentioned in 1086. The tower partially collapsed in 1621. The church was restored in 1827.
The medieval dedication is recorded in SAC, 52, p.50
N nave aisle, N wall, to R of first window from W. A reset voussoir, its face carved with two rows of lateral, centrifugal chevron (two rolls separated by a hollow).
|w.||0.09 m - 0.11 m|
|total l. (N wall)||1.36 m|
|total l. (S wall)||1.245 m|
Location: nave, W end. A low, square Sussex marble bowl with a circular interior, composed of three horizontal sections, and supported by an octagonal central column and four angle colonnettes on a square plinth. Each face is carved with five rectangular panels.
|h. of bowl||0.14 m - 0.16 m|
|w. of bowl||0.70 m - 0.73 m|