Ramsholt church is on the estuary of the river Deben in SE Suffolk, 4 miles from its mouth. The village is on the E side of the estuary 3 miles from its mouth in arable land that rises gently from the river. Ramsholt Lodge is half a mile upstream of the church and the Ramsholt Arms half a mile downstream, and there is little else here apart from a farm half a mile inland, towards the road back to Shottisham, the nearest village.
The church has a round, or rather oval, W tower, a nave with a S porch and a chancel. The tower is of flint and septaria, repaired with mortar and has buttresses added to the N, S and W. The tower windows and bell-openings are all plain pointed lancets, and the plain parapet has been rebuilt. The tower arch, or doorway, however, betrays the 12thc. date of the tower. The nave and chancel are of equal width, the nave slightly taller, and are of mortar-rendered flint and septaria. The nave is of 12thc. date, to judge from the two westernmost N windows, which were remodelledc.1500. The remaining nave and chancel windows range in date from c.1300 toc.1500, and the lateral nave doorways are of c.1300, the S protected by a 19thc. brick and flint rendered porch. The S chancel doorway is alsoc.1300. Inside, the piscina is 14thc. with ogee cusping, and the chancel arch is 19thc. The lower storey of the tower has been converted for vestry use. To judge from the plethora of 18thc. gravestones the parish was more populous at that period, but by 1850 the church was derelict. It was restored and fitted with box pews and a two-decker pulpit in the 1850s and was repaired in 1980-84 by A. W. Anderson of Norwich. The tower arch is the only feature recorded here.
The main landholder in 1086 was Robert Malet. Ralph held 29 acres from him, and there wer 16 acres held before the Conquest by five free men commended to Eadric, and a further 80 acres with no pre-Conquest holder recorded, both apparently in Malet's demesne. Twenty acres in Ramsholt were held by six free men before the Conquest, land held by Ralph de Beaufour in 1086.
Wilford Peninsula benefice, i.e. Alderton, Bawdsey, Boyton, Bromeswell, Butley, Chillesford, Eyke, Hollesley, Iken, Orford, Ramsholt, Rendlesham, Shottisham, Sudbourne, Sutton, Tunstall and Wantisden.
H. M. Cautley, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures. London 1937, 305.
D. P. Mortlock, The Popular Guide to Suffolk Churches: 3 East Suffolk. Cambridge 1992.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Harmondsworth 1961, rev. E. Radcliffe 1975, 397.