A round tower roughly 20 m high built of poor quality limestone with some granite detailing.
The monastery at Taghadoe was possibly founded by St Tua. The nearby church was constructed in 1821 and during its 40 years of service the tower was used as a coal store, with a doorway punched through at ground level. This doorway was built up in 1886 when the tower became a national monument.
A round-headed doorway facing SSE, 3.65 m above the present ground level. The arch and W jamb are of granite. The E jamb (possibly a replacement) is of limestone. A simple moulding 0.15 m wide and 0.02 m deep runs around the granite dressings and sill. A granite block above the apex of the arch has a rounded protuberance, which may have represented a head/ crucifixion plaque, but it is now too weathered to make out any features.
B. Lalor, The Irish Round Tower, Cork, 1999, 166–7.
L. Barrow, The Round Towers of Ireland, Dublin, 1979, 124–6.
P. Harbison, Guide to the National and Historic Monuments of Ireland, 2nd ed., Dublin, 1992, 192.
W. Fitzgerald, ''The round towers of the county of Kildare; their origins and use', Journal of the Kildare Archaeological Society, 1 (1891), 91–4.