The church, built of rubble and standing in open land at some distance from the present village, consists of a 12thc. nave and chancel, both without aisles, and a 15thc. W tower. A medieval timber porch protects the N doorway, which bears Romanesque sculpture. There are a plain round-headed S doorway, a plain restored piscina with triangular head in the S wall of the sanctuary, and a plain font, all probably of the 12thc. Romanesque sculpture is also found in the chancel arch.
In 1086, two hides at Pendock were held by the sheriff, Urse d'Abitot; they subsequently passed to his heirs, the Beauchamps. The manor was held under the Beauchamps by a family who took their name from it: the brothers Robert and Walter de Pendock are mentioned in 1175-76, and Robert de Pendock held the estate in the early 13thc. Another manor of Pendock held by the monks of Worcester in 1086 was confirmed to them by Bishop Simon in 1148; on both occasions this seems to have belonged to the manor of Overbury. At Domesday, a priest held some land in the manor belonging to Worcester priory. The advowson belonged to the part of the Pendock family.
|d. of tympanum||0.2 m|
|h. of opening||1.99 m|
|h. of tympanum||0.62 m|
|w. of opening||1.02 m|
|w. of tympanum||1.12 m|
|h. incl. necking||0.21 m|
|h. without necking||0.185 m|
Plain, with imposts of unequal height supporting the lintel, which slants upwards to the R. The L impost is hollow-chamfered with traces of cable moulding on its W face; the stone is broken above the moulding, the crack continuing down across the N face. The shorter R impost shows several breaks.
Nook shafts on eroded moulded bases. Plain neckings, double scallop capitals with sheathed cones and angle tucks; the shields are outlined at the bottom by fillets, set back slightly from the edge. The L capital has a cross between the shields on the N and W faces, the R capital has the E face cut away. Plain squared blocks above, flush with the capitals. In the arch, three rows of lateral chevrons on the face, hollow, roll, ?hollow, centrifugally carved, the chevrons separated by reeding, and with a cogwheel edge. The L and R springers have been cut back, perhaps when the tympanum was reset. On the label, a broad fillet with a hollow chamfer outside it decorated with pellets.
Pointed, one order. Nook shafts on worn bulbous bases on the W side, with part of the R nook shaft cut away at the bottom. Plain neckings, double scallop capitals with sheathed cones, angle tucks and shields outlined by fillets; at the junctions of the shields, the fillets form a tau cross below a bar on the S and N faces of the capitals, and crosses on the E face(?s). Hollow-chamfered imposts continuous to the E side of the arch, with three unevenly spaced grooves on the face beneath the soffit; the field between the lower two grooves on the R impost is decorated with a band of double zigzag. The imposts are worn, and some have losses at the angles. The present pointed arch is later than the responds, but it incorporates some stones bearing chevron fragments and a cogwheel edge.
|circ. of bowl||1.64 m|
|h. of bowl||0.41 m|
|int. d. of bowl||0.27 m|
|int. w. of bowl||0.41 m|
|w. of bowl||0.51 m|
VCH iii, 480 describes this as a 'piscina recess with a head apparently made up of old stones at a comparatively recent period. The bowl, which has a square drain, appears to be part of a late-12thc. pillar piscina. Part of the carved face with interlacing arches is exposed.'