The building as it is now has 13thc origins, including an unusually-placed tower at the W end of the N aisle. The chancel was rebuilt in 1911.
The church dates from the 13th c but was largely rebuilt and restored in the 19thc by the Duke of Devonshire. Sir Joseph Paxton and his son-in-law, G.H. Stokes were certainly involved. The only Romanesque sculpture in the church is a fragment in the church porch.
Baslow is recorded in Domesday Book as a very small settlement in the lordship of the king. Its church was a chapel in the care of the former minster at Bakewell.
Baslow was one of the numerous chapelries of the extensive parish of Bakewell, and it is only of late years that it has acquired the position of a distinctive vicarage. There can be no doubt that the chapel of Baslow was in existence at the time that King John bestowed Bakewell and its various chapelries on the Dean and Chapter of Lichfield. Both Baslow and Bubnell were berewicks of the extensive royal manor of Asliford at the time when the Domesday Survey was made, but in the next century we find that William de Avenell, Lord of Haddon, also held Baslow.
J.C. Cox, Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. 2: The hundreds of the High Peak and Wirksworth, Chesterfield, London, Derby: Palmer and Edmunds, 1877, 53-62.
C. Hartwell, N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, New Haven and London 2016, 154-155.