Wexham is a village in the South Buckinghamshire district of the county, close to the border with the Unitary Authority of Slough, to the S. The church is at the S end of the village, and consists of nave and chancel in one with a S porch and a timber bell turret with a weatherboarded spire to the nave, and a N vestry and a S organ room to the chancel, both 19thc. The nave is 12thc in origin, and the W oculus is of that period, as is a plain N nave window, but both are heavily restored. The chancel was rebuilt in the 14thc, and the original chancel arch may have been removed then. The porch was added in the 16thc and at some stage the nave was widened at the W end. Construction is of flint and puddingstone rubble with some clunch, except for the porch, which is of brick and timber. The lightly ornamented W oculus is the only feature described here.
Wexham is not recorded by that name in the Domesday Survey, but its later history demonstrates that it was assessed with Eton in the Barony of Windsor. In the 13thc the tenancy was held by Henry Mansel, and he transferred it to the Priory of St Mary Overy, Southwark, which retained it until it was dissolved in 1539. The advowson of the church belonged to Henry Mansel in the 13thc, and descended with the manor.
Historic England Listed Building 44320
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire.London 1960.
N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire. London 1960, 2nd ed. 1994, 741-42.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Buckingham. Volume 1 (south). London 1912, 322.
Victoria County History: Buckinghamshire. III (1925), 318-20.