This report is written entirely from secondary sources as it has not proved possible to gain access to the site despite repeated attempts. The site is a disused chapel, formerly a dairy and garden feature, in the grounds of Fawley Court, some 20 metres NW of the main house. The chapel is of knapped flint and dates to the late-18thc or early-19thc. Reset under a porch in the projecting E front is a 12thc doorway that came from Hart Street, Henley.
The original location of the doorway is uncertain.
The description is based on the engraving from The Henley Guide, the only image seen by the author.
Round headed and of 2 orders.
Heavy nook-shafts on tall plinths with capitals, perhaps of the crocket or volute type, the R more elaborate than the L. Imposts are as the 1st order, and the arch appears to have a thin roll flanked by rows of beading or nailhead. There is a label, possibly chamfered on the intrados
Anon., The Henley Guide, London 1826, 1-2.
D. Gilbert, An Archaeological Desk-Based Assessment of Fawley Court, Buckinghamshire, John Moore Heritage Services, July 2009.
Historic England Listed Building 46668
N. Pevsner and E. Williamson, Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire. London 1960, 2nd ed. 1994, 390-92.
K. A. Rodwell, A Historic Building Survey of Service Buildings at Fawley Court Buckinghamshire, John Moore Heritage Services, August 2009.
G. Tyack, ‘The Freemans of Fawley and their Buildings’, Records of Bucks, 24 (1982), 130-143
Victoria County History: Buckinghamshire. III (1925), 39-38.