All that remains of the 12thc. church is the chancel, and a few courses of the N wall of the roofless W tower. In the 13thc. the chancel was extended eastward, a chapel added on its S side and a S aisle added to the nave - all of red sandstone ashlar. The church fell into ruin and a replacement was built on a new site shortly after 1850. At this time the N doorway of the ruined nave was built into what became the W wall of the old chancel, now kept as a chapel with its 13thc. chapel adjoining to the S. In 1963 the dangerous walls of the old tower and nave were taken down, except for the old S doorway which still stands, supported by a portion of the S wall of the nave.
At the time of the Domesday Survey the manor of Abberley was included among the lands held in chief by Ralph de Toeni. It had been held by Wulfmar, who could betake himself where he would, and there were two and a half hides paying geld. It was held in chief as member of the castle of Colwyn by the service of finding one man at Colwyn with bow and arrow for twenty days whenever there should be war in Wales. It followed the descent of the overlordship of Elmley Lovett to Alice de Toeni, wife of Guy Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick.
The chapel serves the modern church of Abberley.
|h. of opening||3.77 m|
|w. of opening||2.06 m|
No bases, engaged (coursed) nook-shafts.
R capital: as L capital
Round-headed. Badly eroded and partly rebuilt. Originally there probably were three orders with tympanum. This has a segmented lower edge and is uncarved except for an outer border, possibly of cable.
Engaged nook-shafts coursed with the masonry (L jamb only). No bases or capitals but possibly the remains of eroded imposts. Moulded arch, perhaps originally with an angle roll and a hollow and roll on the face.
Supports as second order and just badly preserved.
The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Worcestershire, vol.IV. London 1924, 221-24.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England. Worcestershire . Harmondsworth 1968, 67.