Wolferlow is a village in NE Herefordshire, in a tongue of land projecting into Worcestershire. It is thus half a mile from two Worcestershire borders - to the E and the NW. The nearest Herefordshire town of any size is Bromyard, 4 miles to the S. The village comprises the church, two farms, Wolferlow House and a few cottages, and is the site of a Deserted Medieval Settlement SW of the church.
The church consists of a chancel with a N vestry, nave with S porch and a timber-framed bell turret with a broach spire. It was restored by James Cranston in 1863-64, but has medieval material in the shape of the N and S doorways; the former blocked and the latter protected by a porch. It has been disused since 2002, and it was not possible to gain entry. Hence only the two doorways are recorded here.
Wolferlow was held by Roger de Lacy in 1086, and by Hugh and Walter from him. It was assessed at 6 hides. In 1066 it was held by Alwine the sheriff of Gloucestershire. A smaller holding of 2 hides was held by Ralph de Mortimer in demesne in 1086, and by Alwine in 1066. Accprding to Duncumb (1812) the manor passed later to a family called Engleys, of which Roger de Engleys held it in the reign of Henry III, when it was assessed at 7 hides.The advowson was given to the nuns of Aconbury, who appropriated the church at some time in the 14thc.
A single-order doorway, round-headed and blocked. The jambs have coursed nook-shafts without visible bases, and are unusually elaborated with angle rolls on the outer nooks. They carry cushion capitals (or a variant thereof) which have been cut back drastically on the angle so that only parts of their cones survive. Impost are likewise cut back although traces of chamfers survive on both. The arch has a heavy nook roll, and outside it is a label with a face chip-carved with saltires in squares outside an angle roll.
|Height of opening||2.60 m|
|Width of opening||1.12 m|
A single-order doorway, round-headed with a tympanum. The plain ashlar jambs are of red sandstone, unmoulded and apparently rebuilt. They carry quirked chamfered imposts whch support the ends of a segmental lintel of 10 voussoirs, with an inner angle roll. The tympanum is of coursed ashlar blocks and is surrounded by an arch with an angle roll inside a row of chip-carved saltires in squares, like the label of the N doorway.
|Height of opening||2.07 m|
|Width of opening||1.13 m|
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 683.
J. Duncumb, Collections towards the history and antiquities of the county of Hereford, Vol. II, pt 1, 1812, 256-60.
Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 6696 (DMV)
Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Record 8053 (church of St Andrew)
Historic Eng;land Listed Building (HE Legacy numbe) 412009
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 324.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 219-20.