Sollers Hope is a small village set in a hilly pasture and woodland area, 8 miles SE of Hereford and 6 miles SW of Ledbury. Settlement is scattered, and the church and Court Farm which form the focus are reached via a series of increasingly narrow single-track roads. St Michaels has a chancel with a N vestry, and a nave with a S porch and a timber framed W bell turret with an octagonal spire. Otherwise construction is of coursed local sandstone rubble, roughly squared. The body of the church is 14thc, and it was restored by Nicholson and Son in 1885. They added the vestry, and replaced the spire and the wagon roofs. The only Romanesque feature here is the font.
The manor of Sollers Hope was held by Haghni in 1066 and by Richard (de Solers) from Ansfrid de Cormeilles in 1086. It was assessed at 5 hides, of which 1½ were held by an unnamed knight. The Solers family continued to hold the manor, and Richard Whittington c.1354-1423, four times Lord Mayor of London was descended from the female line.
At the W end of the nave in the centre is a plain tub font on a modern or retooled chamfered drum base. The bowl is of Caplar sandstone, vertically tooled, chamfered around the top edge and unlined, and has the remains of staples on the rim at SE and NW.
|External diameter of bowl at rim||0.84 m|
|Internal diameter of bowl at rim||0.58 m|
|Height of base||0.31 m|
|Height of bowl||0.63 m|
|Height of font||0.94 m|
A. Brooks and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. New Haven and London 2012, 602.
W. H. Cooke, Collections towards the history and antiquities of the county of Herefordshire in continuation of Duncumb's History, III (Greytree Hundred) 1882.
Historic England Listed Building (EH Legacy ID) 154313.
G. Marshall, 'Sollers Hope Church, Herefordshire', Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club. Volume for 1924, 1925, 1926 Part III 1926, 186-87.
G. Marshall, “Fonts in Herefordshire”, Transactions of the Woolhope Naturalists’ Field Club, II (1950), 41.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire. Harmondsworth 1963, 290.
RCHME, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, 2: East, 1932, 168-70.