Prospect Tower SE doorway arch, voussoir 3

Image of the feature "III. Exterior Features: 1. Doorways: Prospect Tower, SE doorway" at Lewes Priory.

by Ron Baxter.

The Prospect Tower, also called Blaker's Tower, was probably built by John Blaker, who owned the site from 1855 until his death in 1864. The evidence for this is that it is not mentioned in the 1855 sales particulars, but does appear on the 1873 Ordnance Survey map.  It is a 2-storey building with a battlemented parapet. The doorway is at the SE with a glazed window above it, and there are further upper and lower windows at SW, NE and NW, all blocked with flints. The tower is built of flint with ashlar dressings.

The SE doorway is round headed and of a single order. The jambs are of uneven ashlar blocks and the arch is made up of 9 re-used voussoirs, presumably found on the site. In the descriptions below the voussoirs are numbered from L to R.

Dimensions

Voussoir 1
Depth of block 0.13 m
Length of face 0.13 m
Width at extrados 0.255 m
Width at intrados 0.255 m
Voussoir 2
Depth of block 0.16 m
Length of face 0.23 m
Width at extrados 0.18 m
Width at intrados 0.17 m
Voussoir 3
Depth of block 0.125 m
Length of face 0.21 m
Width at extrados 0.17 m
Width at intrados 0.15 m
Voussoir 4
Depth of block 0.13 m
Length of face 0.20 m
Width at extrados 0.20 m
Width at intrados 0.16 m
Voussoir 5
Depth of block 0.18 m
Length of face 0.22 m
Width at extrados 0.18 m
Width at intrados 0.18 m
Voussoir 6
Depth of block 0.17 m
Length of face 0.21 m
Width at extrados 0.21 m
Width at intrados 0.18 m
Voussoir 7
Depth of block 0.16 m
Length of face 0.20 m
Width at extrados 0.23 m
Width at intrados 0.16 m
Voussoir 8
Depth of block 0.16 m
Length of face 0.185 m
Width at extrados 0.21 m
Width at intrados 0.16 m
Voussoir 9
Depth of block 0.14 m
Length of face 0.19 m
Width at extrados 0.205 m
Width at intrados 0.185 m