St Hugh, Lewsey, Luton, Bedfordshire

Feature Sets (2)


The parish of St Hugh, Lewsey was created in 1965 from parts of the parishes of Houghton Regis, All Saints Luton, and St Luke Leagrave (Bedfordshire Archive). Before the creation of the parish, St Hugh's was a mission in the parish of Houghton Regis. The church was a dual-purpose building, dedicated in 1960, and this is now the church hall and office. The foundation stone of the present church, on Leagrave High Street, was laid in 1966, and the church was built by Black, Bayes, Gibson and Partners, and was completed the following year. It is a broad rectangular brick hall with a monopitch roof at the E end with an abstract stained glass window in primary colours extending the full width of the clerestory. Inside a stage has been erected at the E ed with an altar on the N side of it, in the NE corner. In the SE corner is a raised platform. The are two doorways in the N wall; that at the W end linking the church to the church hall. The font came to St Hugh's from St Mary's Maulden, and is sited at the SE of the hall. This is the only Romanesque feature recorded here.


As the font is an import, the history of Lewsey is irrelevant here. The interested reader should refer to the history of Maulden. 





The font is sited at the SE of the nave, and consists of am octagonal bowl on a short, tapered stem with a chamfered drum base. The stem flares out at the top into an octagonal moulded support for the bowl. The bowl is of clunch and unlined. The basin is circular and has been extensively restored, especially to the rim, so that any marks of lock removal are now obscured.

External diameter of bowl at rim (across corners) 0.75 m
External diameter of bowl at rim (across flats) 0.69 m
Internal diameter of bowl at rim 0.62 m
Height of base and stem 0.33 m
Height of bowl 0.35 m
Height of font 0.68 m


An interesting personal account of the foundation of the new parish will be found on the church website at  

The font bowl is plain and extensively restored, but its octagonal form and the simple mouldings together suggest a date c.1200.


  • Bedfordshire Archives and Records Service, Order in Council P101/2/2/4

  • Historic Environment Record for Bedfordshire no. 13552

  • C. O’Brien and N. Pevsner,  The Buiuldings of England: Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire and Peterborough, New Haven and London 2014, 222.


Site Location
Lewsey, Luton
National Grid Reference
TL 042 231 
pre-1974 traditional (England and Wales): Bedfordshire
now: Luton
medieval: Lincoln (Dorchester to 1085)
now: St Albans
now: St Hugh
Type of building/monument
Parish church  
Report authors
Ron Baxter 
Visit Date
13 March 2018