Harleston is in rolling arable land 2 miles W of Stowmarket. The church and the moated hall site are close together to the NE of the village centre. St Augustine’s is a single-cell church of flint and septaria with a wooden bell-turret on the W gable and a thatched roof. The N and S nave doorways are 12thc. in origin. The S, plain and heavily restored, is practically obscured by a pair of evergreens planted to either side. The N is blocked, and the blocking includes pieces of ashlar from the jambs and a long, curved stone, presumably from the arch. None of these has any carved decoration. The other windows are 13thc. and plain. Inside there is no chancel arch but a 14thc. wooden screen. There was a restorationc.1860, to which belong the W front including the bell-turret, the E window and the chancel furnishings.
Harleston was held by St Edmundsbury Abbey before the Conquest and in 1086. Under King Edward it was held by two free men from the abbot, and in 1086 by Adelund from him. There were a carucate and twenty acres of ploughland, of which the 20-acre holding was in the hands of Peter. There was a church with 25 acres of free land.
Benefice of Great Finborough, Harleston, Buxhall, Shelland and Onehouse.
|h. of opening (ignoring step)||2.12 m|
|w. of opening||0.97 m|