St Mary's has a nave with N and S aisles and Perpendicular clerestoreys. The arcades are both of the 13thc. and very similar, of four bays of which the W bays on either side are very narrow. The reset nave doorways are of c.1200; the N unprotected, the S, of two orders with nook-shafts, under a porch. The S aisle was rebuilt in 1877, and the chancel in 1883. On the N side of the chancel is the Raynsford Chapel (now used as a vestry), built in 1679 in a gothic style and containing family monuments of some pretensions. The W tower is of four slightly stepped storeys, the lowest three of c.1200 to judge from a blocked window in the S wall. The top storey is Perpendicular. Romanesque features recorded here are the N and S doorways.
Dallington was held by the abbey of Peterborough in 1086, and by Richard from the abbot. A priest was recorded at that time.
Benefice of St Mary, Dallington.
Single order, pointed. The arch and jambs are chamfered, and the arch springs from impost blocks that are hollow chamfered with an overhanging face carved on its surface with a low roll between quirks.
|h. of opening||2.68 m|
|w. of opening||1.14 m|
Two orders, round-headed. The two arch orders are plain and square in section with a keeled roll label with short returns at the ends. First order (jamb). Chamfered with plain stops and slender hollow-chamfered imposts, quite plain and partly replaced. Second order (jamb). Cylindrical en-delit nook-shafts on low roll bases with thin roll neckings. The bases stand on raked plinths. Both capitals are stiff-leaf with roll neckings and the imposts are of the same profile as the first order.
|h. of opening||2.31 m|
|w. of opening||1.31 m|