Remains of 12thc. chapel, of rubble construction, comprising chancel and nave, standing in a garden next to a farmhouse. The gabled end walls stand to full height; half of the N nave wall has been destroyed. There is a tall plain round-headed window with a continuous roll surround in the N wall of the nave, a similar but shorter window set into a modern brick farm outhouse, and a taller plain round-headed light in the S nave wall. Romanesque sculpture is found in the S and N doorways, the former blocked, on reset fragments in the N nave wall outside, in the S nave wall inside and in a farm outbuilding, and on loose fragments stored in a fireplace in the W wall of the nave.
In 1086, Netherton was a chapel of Cropthorne, and it never achieved parish status. The chapel was in disrepair by the reign of Edward I but it was later restored. It was again disused by the 16thc. Hobington (1647) described the chapel as 'desolate in antiquity'. The W end was repaired during the 17thc. and converted into a dwelling. According to local tradition, it was used as a schoolhouse. In 1738 it was described as a barn, and this was still the case in the 1900s. Around 1920 the ruin was consolidated and stabilised.
Both the outside and the inside bear sculptural decoration.
|h. of opening||2.51 m|
|w. of opening||1.21 m|
|h. incl. necking||0.15 m|
|h. without necking||0.135 m|
Round-headed, of two orders.
First order: pseudo-colonnettes on chamfered plinths. No capitals. The arch bears one row of straddling directional chevron (alternate directions) over a rolled edge, with a row of nailhead beading down the centre of each chevron roll. Major losses to springers, to accommodate a beam. The lower three voussoirs on the R are more weathered and lighter in colour than the more blackened voussoirs to the L; this is probably due to the loss of the second order voussoirs above them, which exposed them more to the elements.
Second order: R side lost. L side has keeled nook shaft on bulbous base, the capital carved with a full-length mask, the nose at the angle, ears at the outer edges of the block and mouth forming the necking, so that the shaft appears to emerge from it. A row of beading runs across the forehead, and on each face above is a palmette-like motif, but with scalloped edge and fluted surface; possibly this represents a crown. Hollow-chamfered impost with a groove on the face. The whole shaft with its capital and impost appears to be original. The arch bears two rows of lateral hyphenated chevrons, syncopated on the face, similar on the soffit, meeting hyphen-to-hyphen. Within the lozenges thus formed on the edge are rosettes of varied design, shaped to match the field. The triangular fields outside the outer chevrons on face and soffit are decorated with plain leaves with scalloped edge, the scalloping continuing outside the hyphens. A row of nailhead beading runs between the scalloping and the rolls. Four voussoirs on R side of arch missing.
Round-headed, one order, the arch rising to a height corresponding to that of the second order outside. The arch now rests on a beam, and the lower voussoirs on the L, corresponding to the lost ones on the exterior, are missing. Voussoirs hollow-chamfered on soffit and face with a narrow angle roll and grooves along the outer edges, carved with straddling lozenges composed of narrow rolls. The voussoirs with their lozenges vary in width, being narrower towards the apex of the arch. One of the lost voussoirs is probably set into the N wall (see para.III3.d.(i) below). Label lost.
Two orders, with carved monolithic tympanum, reset in 1920. The tympanum appears to be made of a very hard, granular stone, carved with a winged creature with reptilian head, mouth wide open breathing fire, a scaly, prawn-like body with scalloping beneath the stomach, webbed foreleg and long beaded fish's tail arching back towards the head, following the curve of the upper edge of the stone. The wings have some convincing bird-like features, but the beading of the tail is formed of nailhead. The carving is in low relief. There is a drilled hole in the centre of the body.
|h. of tympanum||0.55 m|
|w. of tympanum||1.13 m|
Jambs with plain rolled edges outlined by grooves; no capitals.
A fragment carved with square trellis ornament is set into the wall of a farm outbuilding. The pattern is otherwise unknown on the site.
Various fragments, some Romanesque, others later, are stored in the fireplace in the W wall of the nave. They include a voussoir fragment with a half-lozenge containing an indistinct motif, probably from the first order of the N doorway, and a stone carved with a keeled nook shaft, possibly from the second order of the same doorway, from the lost R side.