This church does not incorporate any obvious 12thc. fabric. It has a W tower, a long nave with a 13thc. (Early English) clerestorey, later aisles with 6-bay arcades, and a square chancel with a N chapel.
A church at Salehurst is mentioned in the Domesday Book. Walker repeats a local tradition that 'this font was given to Salehurst by Richard Coeur de Lion as a thanks offering'. Among Richard Hussey's drawings in the Bodleian is one of the font, in 1830, with the note: 'bowl re-worked and top moulding quite altered, 1865' (Zarnecki).
(Location: under W tower.) This sandstone cup font comprises a bowl supported by a short cylindrical shaft on a circular plinth. The interior is circular and lead lined, and (post-medieval) staples for a lock are attached to the rim. The bowl is unadorned, save for a single shallow moulding. A cyma marks the transition to the cylindrical shaft, which has no capital. The circular base of the shaft is carved with four salamanders: two lie head-to-head, while the other pair bite their tails. The upper part of the circular plinth is chamfered. The font is elevated on a square, modern plinth.
|diam. exterior||0.82 m|
|diam. interior||0.59 m|
|h. of ensemble||1.00 m|
|h. of original font (without modern plinth)||0.84 m|