Parish church incorporating the W tower of a medieval church. A font, possibly Romanesque, is set in the W face of the tower.
The settlement at Ballyhale is a relatively modern one and the surviving medieval tower of the church relates to the time when the area was known as Kiltorcan. The medieval church at Kiltorcan was appropriated to Kells priory in the early years of the 13thc. and is referred to consistently in historical documents as a 'capella'.
Font, possible reused as a stoup.
Square exterior with circular basin. the front and sides are decorated with two staggered rows of upright flutes or arcades. The front corners of the top surface are decorated with fleur de lys. No central drain.
|h. of basin||0.30 m|
|visible d. of basin||0.50 m|
|w. of basin||0.67 m|
W. Carrigan, The History and Antiquities of the Diocese of Ossory, Dublin, 1905, iv, 14-16.
J. Pike, The Medieval Fonts of Ireland, Greystones, 1989, 20.