Hadnall is a village 5 miles N of Shrewsbury on the A49 Whitchurch road, a former Roman road. The church is in the village centre alongside a moated site, perhaps originally the manor house. It is a single-aisled church, essentially 19thc, but with some medieval masonry in the nave. The S and N doorways are 12thc (the latter blocked up and the former largely covered by a porch). The church was restored 1872-3 by E. Haycock.
In 1086 Hadnall was among the lands held by Sheriff Reginald from Roger Montgomery, Earl of Shrewsbury. The actual tenant was Osmund who held it from the Sheriff, and before the Conquest the tenant was Godwine. It was assessed at 4 hides with woodland sufficient for 40 pigs.
Round-headed.2 orders, blocked
|Height of opening||2.30 m|
|Width of opening||1.22 m|
1st order: Plain, continuous and chamfered.
|Height of opening||2.20 m|
|Width of opening||1.30 m|
EH, English Heritage Listed Building 260046.
R. W. Eyton, Antiquities of Shropshire, London: J. R. Smith, 1859, vol. 10, 44-61.
J. Newman and N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, New Haven and London, 2006, 278-9.
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 136.