Hanwood is a substantial village 3½ miles SW of Shrewsbury on the A488 road to Pontesbury. It is built along this road with the church on the main road and much modern housing on new roads to either side. The civil parish is Great Hanwood, which includes also the village of Hanwood Bank at the E end of Hanwood
The church is largely of 1856 and of red brick, although the sandstone plinth is medieval and there is some 17thc and 18thc brickwork in nave and chancel. It has an unaisled nave with a polygonal chancel under the same roof; a W belfry over the nave; a N porch and vestry and organ chamber to either side of the chancel. The only Romanesque work is the font.
Great Hanwood was held by Roger fitzCorbet from Roger Montgomery, Earl of Shrewsbury in 1086, and by Eadric before the Conquest. It was assessed at 2 hides. Records of the church go back to the 13thc. During the 12th century Roger fitzCorbet passed the manor on to Reinald de Hanewode. It was subsequently held by the de Hanewode family, notably John de Hanewode 1167, Reginald de Hanewode, John de Hanewode 1288, Reginald de Hanewode 1300, until 1348 when that family became extinct.
The font is sited at the W end of the nave close to the N entrance. It consists of a cup-shaped 12thc bowl on a modern stem abd base. The bowl is roughly carved in red sandstone, with a double roll at the upper rim and plain multiple scallops around the chamfered lower part.
|Circumference of bowl at top||1.21 m|
|External diameter of bowl at rim||0.68 m|
|Height of bowl||0.46 m|
|Internal diameter of bowl at rim||0.46 m|
Anon, Welcome to Hanwood Church, n.d.
D. H. S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire...: illustrated from photographs by M. J. Harding; with ground plans of the most important churches drawn by W. A. Webb, 2 vols, Wellington: Hobson & Co., 1901-12, pt. 10, 359.
EH, English Heritage Listed Building 259432.
J. Newman and N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, New Haven and London, 2006, 282.
N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Shropshire, Harmondsworth 1958, 133.